Friday, September 21, 2007

Are We Done Yet?

Max asked me last night if I thought we were close to being done for the year. Done with loss and massive change, done with death. Done. My response was "I doubt it."

This is what I've learned about God. Things are always changing around Him. When I'm not changing, I'm not within His will. I've also learned that crisis brings me closer than anything else to God's heart. When I'm in crisis, I pray harder, longer and deeper than any other time. I'm beginning to think that God must 'miss' me when things are going well!

I'm also learning that every crisis or rough time or great change is tempered by God's mercy. As I learn to get through these times by relying on His strength instead of my own, I recognize that little bits of me are dropping away and more of God is entering in. I will never get to the point where people see only God in me. I'm too independent and God and I will probably fight over this personality until the day I finally die. I don't necessarily like it that way, but it's my reality.

Doesn't it seem like it would be easier to simply relinquish myself to God? Why, yes it does! And it's not like I don't want to.

So, no. I don't think we're done yet. Poor Max is married to me and God has a lot of work to do in my life. The only fortunate thing is that I'm married to Max. I've never met a man with a stronger, simpler faith. I'm guessing that God knew what He was doing when He brought us together. Max and I tend to balance each other pretty well. Even when it comes to working through our faith.

No comments: