Sunday, September 09, 2007

When God shows up ...

Do you see that huge pause before I began my first sentence? Oh ... probably not, but I had to stop and just bow before the Lord. In fact, as I type ... I'm thankful for being a touch typist because I can hardly lift my head. God has been so present this day.

He was in worship ... moving and pouring out. There aren't words to describe what I experienced, but because I am a communicator I will try.

I know that Jennie had really been praying for the worship service this morning - trying to feel the flow of things in her heart and her mind. She called me yesterday to tell me a little bit of what had been going on - and to ask me to pray. She didn't see the ending of the service. And when she began stressing about it, she heard God telling her that He would take care of it today - she just needed to remain open.

In my ears, that tells me to be ready for anything. I woke up this morning and began praying for the day, for the praise band as we led the music, for Dr. Delp as he preached the Word, for the people that I could see sitting and standing in their pews. I walked into the church praying for all of this. And as I walked into the sanctuary, I knew that I needed to be praying. I sat in the front pew as the scurrying about on the stage began and shut my eyes. More than anything I wanted God to be present.

We began our first song and I amped up immediately. "Turn it around, open the windows of heaven, pour out a blessing, let it flow." We were pleading with God to join us ... did the people know what they were asking? Oh, I hope so.

There was a beautiful baptism of a father and his baby daughter. Oh, how God loves seeing families gather together before Him!

We sang again, "We fall down, we lay our crowns at the feet of Jesus. And we cry 'Holy, holy, holy'!" You see, that's where God wanted us to be - crying out before Him that He is holy. He is holy!! Dr. Delp taught on the passage in Isaiah 6:1-8. During the reign of King Uzziah, Isaiah was in the throne room of God - the train of His robe - filled the temple with glory! Angels were all arond singing "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty" They were calling that back and forth.

The sermon was amazing today. Simply amazing. I was in awe as I listened to Dr. Delp try to help us grasp the incredible holiness of our God.

As we closed the service with the song "I see the Lord, seated on the throne, exalted. And the train of His robe, fills the temple with glory. And the whole world is filled with His glory. Holy, holy, holy, holy. Holy is the Lord!', I became aware of the awesome presence of God. I have to admit that my very bad knees kept me upright in a time where God was doing His best to drive me to my knees. At points, I had to stop singing and just drop my head.

I was talking with a friend later on ... and I recognize that people are so resistant to God. Patterns have been built up in their lives and fears. anger at the church or people that have hurt them in the past. All sorts of things happen to wound us to a point that we can no longer accept the reality of a Holy God. We come to church simply to be seen.

But, God is drawing every person to Him and right now I sense that His movement is more intentional. God is preparing our church to become a focal point in His revival of our hearts. I pray that if your heart is not filled with the holiness of God, you can find yourself a place and a way to be open to that.

Lord Jesus, Come Quickly!

1 comment:

Jacqniel said...

Oh Diane, you make me angry at myself for staying home this morning! I frittered away the early morning until it was almost time for first service and told myself - so go to second service....but no - I just sat. How sad I am! I should have been there praising God. My bad.