Friday, June 13, 2008

Not supposed to happen

I've been trying for two days to figure out what in the world to say about the devastation that is occurring in Iowa. Eastern Iowa is where my heart is. I grew up there, I went to college there, I lived a life there, I have family there, friends there. My memories of childhood and youth are all wrapped around the areas that are being devastated by floods. Water like we've never seen in my life.

And I find that I'm stunned to silence as I look at photographs of downtown Cedar Rapids. Coe College is evacuated. I graduated from there in 1981. Carol graduated from there in 1984. Many of my college friend still live there. That was the one city in Iowa that I would love to return to and live.

Iowa City. I talked to an aunt who lives in Coralville. She's fine. The city isn't. My grandfather lived there for several years in the 1970s. In fact, though we lived in small communities around there, Iowa City was where we did everything. Carol and I would drive back there from Omaha and we could sense the excitement of the city as we gassed up in Coralville. It just has a completely different feel to it than Omaha does. The river isn't expected to crest for several more days. Students are pulling books to higher levels in the library, businesses are closed, people are leaving.

Rivers are at 30 feet, when flood level is 12 feet. I can hardly even imagine that much water flowing. I look at the photographs online and wonder 'how can this be'?

Isn't it interesting to consider that nature is a more powerful force than man. We try to tame the earth and force it to bend to our will, yet the unpredictability of it overwhelms and stuns us.

I am thankful that more lives haven't been lost and hurt for those that have. I am so sorry that possessions and things have been lost to people that have no idea how they will continue. I pray for my friends and family and for the many workers that are trying to keep people safe and will bring the infrastructure back after it has been devastated.

Today, all I can do is pray. Tomorrow ... we'll see.

No comments: