Monday, June 16, 2008

Weird things in memory

I just picked up a piece of string, tied the ends and my fingers found their way into creating Jacob's Ladder. I learned how to do this when I was in elementary school and I must have done it so many times that my fingers can automatically perform the actions.

When I was very young, my mom taught me our telephone number and I can still remember that thing! (868-7817).

Yet I find it impossible to memorize scripture.

I have more telephone numbers in my memory than any one woman should. With the advent of cell phones with memory, I have fewer and fewer contemporary numbers, but old ones? Still got 'em. Credit card numbers from my past? Still there.

Yet I find it impossible to memorize scripture.

When I was in high school and had to participate in piano contests, I had to memorize my music. I would get it memorized and then be able to play the piece while reading a novel at the piano.

Yet I find it impossible to memorize scripture.

So what's the deal? I spend more time in the Bible than I do any other book. I have been working on memorizing scripture most of my life and yet ... I fail.

I have tried so many different types of Bible memorization. You have no idea.

This really frustrates me.

So, I just threw the string in the trash can. It was annoying me. Kind of taunting me that I can remember the simple things and yet the one thing that I desire to remember more than anything ... not happening.

I have weird things in my brain. I can't make them go away. I don't think I've achieved the limitations of memory storage in my brain.

Alright ... back at it: "In the beginning was the Word ..."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything you mentioned in your "remembering" had a physical action connected to it...create that with your scripture and you will remember it...if you choose.

Tracy "K" Simpson

Diane Muir said...

Hah! That's a riot. Good insight! Now, do I beat myself on the head as I'm memorizing Psalm 51? ... Create in me a clean heart, O Lord and renew a right spirit within me...

Oh ... sorry! :giggle:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking like hopping on one foot or dancing a jig! Maybe it will work!!??

Love you -- t