Sunday, June 22, 2008

Vampires, Video and Vegging

What a great weekend. I certainly wasn't acting like a true American this weekend. I did absolutely nothing that was productive in the normal scheme of things.

I started reading fiction again. I'm in the middle of "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. It's been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years. I've had no time to read this. The book is messing with my dreams. It deals with the history of Dracula. Vlad the Impaler. Whether or not you believe he is a vampire, that man was quite evil. Just thinking about the various ways he murdered thousands of people is enough to disturb anyone's dreams. I have a very vivid imagination and I've had to stop myself from visualizing some of the descriptions she offers. However, it doesn't stop my subconscious from retelling the story in my dreams. Wow. Good book.

I've been so far away from bookstores lately, that I've completely missed a reading phenomenom. The series "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer seems to be taking the world by storm and I've missed it. You know I hate to miss anything! Looks like that will be next on my reading list.

Max and I set up a new communication source this weekend. I can video chat with my family! You can too. oovoo.com has a fabulous video chat client. It's free if you only want to chat with two others, and it looks to be pretty inexpensive to add up to 5 others to the chat. So, I stayed up late last night chatting with Matthew and this morning he set my sister up as well. I was able to talk to her a couple of times today. Heck we'd normally talk on the phone, but this way we can see each other and show each other things we're working on. No, it's not as hands free as a cell phone, but as long as we're working at the computer - it's cool. And of course we can still hear each other if we're out of eye-shot. Pretty awesome.

As for vegging. I haven't actually watched much television. It's been the book and me on the couch unless I'm online typing the deep and the trite.

A friend had told me I needed to write a vampire novel from the perspective of a Christian. I have absolutely no idea how that is possible. Contemporary literature treats vampires as misunderstood or incredibly evil. How do you give the undead a soul? I've been processing on this for a few weeks and I have no answer yet. It would make a great novel if I could figure it out. I'm not giving up, though. It makes for terrific mind-wandering exploration.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"How do you give the 'undead' a soul?" My mind just shot out about 4 lightyears and back!!! I have all of these images coming to me...Nemo grabbing Trinity's heart, the healing Buddha levitating, a brilliant beautiful Christ glowing with love...that is an awesome idea -- something will come to you on this!!

Tracy K Simpson