Sunday, November 02, 2008

Daylight Savings

Ok ... weird. I looked at the clock on my computer and it said 1:16 am. Ummm ... I could have sworn that a little bit ago it said 1:53 am. Within a split second I realized that at 2:00 am the clock changed back. And I missed it! Doggone.

So, here I am with an extra hour in my life. I think I shall squander it.

```
I had decided to work on the Bible study I'm participating in. However, I got annoyed with the teaching and decided I might just put it down until I can pray about it and deal with it in my brain. Oh ... for someone as opinionated as me, you have to know that this happens regularly. It's not that big of a deal.

```
The evening has been a bit strange. A little earlier I heard a police car give chase. I first heard a car squeal its tires as it peeled out and within moments, sirens were screaming and they were off. After awhile it was over. Who knows what happened. Then, I heard young men scrambling around in the alley outside my back door. With the upper door open and the lights on, I can't see outside, so that weirded me out a little bit. And just now, I heard what sounded like a gunshot. Oh, it could be a car backfiring, but I probably should have heard the car. It was a distance away, so I'm not worried or anything.

I am overwhelmed by the violence in this community. I hate being a fatalist, but I just don't think there is anything that can actually be done about this. There is no end to the problem. We can deal with individuals and do our best to help them, but the problem is so much greater than the individuals. For every program that cares for one person, more are tossed onto the streets. Carol told us at dinner tonight about a 10 year old who sold a piece of candy to a 7 year old for $20. And when he wanted another piece, he gave her another $20. Where does he get that kind of money? A seven year old kid! And how shameful that an older child would take such unfair advantage. This cycle continues to spin out of control.

There are many days that I want to move to a small town in Iowa and hide from the world.

```
Max goes back to work on Monday. It's probably a good thing. I actually don't get as much done when he's around. I'd much rather talk to him and honestly, as soon as I get involved in anything, he'll turn to ask me a question and I break away to respond. I need to do some cleanup in the study. We have managed to trash this place pretty badly. Lots of stuff got brought in here after the trip and with both of us hanging out here, it just keeps getting worse. So ... he'll go back to work and I'll get things straightened up. Of course, the straightening might just happen tonight yet or at least tomorrow. We'll see how much I can tolerate.

```
I've been readjusting things on my desk. It's a small desk - not really made for a keyboard and screen. I need to make room so that I can actually prop books up while I type and read from them. I would love to have multiple monitors so that I can look things up and type (write) at the same time, but heck ... I love my computer and I'm not going to complain.

```
It's time to start thinking about Christmas gifts. I did about 95% of my shopping online last year. I really need to get busy so that I can actually enjoy looking for and dreaming up fun gifts for my family and friends. I have started the list, but I got wrapped up in vacation planning and set it aside. It's probably time to bring it back to the forefront.

```
Max and I have already done our geeky election research project. We talk all year about the major races, but there's nothing I hate more than going in to vote and facing names that I've never heard about. So, every election we find the sample ballot, pull out our voter registration card to find the districts, etc. and we go through the ballot together simply to figure out who everyone is and what the initiatives are. I remember having to buy a newspaper to get that information, I don't mind having it available online now.

```
Well, I've used about 25 minutes of my extra hour. I think I'm going to try to read "Emma" by Jane Austen tonight. If that doesn't put me to sleep ... well ... I'm betting that Leviticus will!

1 comment:

nebelle said...

can you follow that bible study online??

janet