Saturday, January 31, 2009

Best laid plans

Well ... the best laid plans.

Max & I thought we were heading out today - it's a beautiful day. All of this buildup, all of these plans. Awesome! I can't wait!

Last night as we were driving to dinner, I asked Max if he was getting a cold.

"Yes, but I didn't want to tell you about it."

"Why not?"

"Well, I don't like to whine about these things."

This is not the first time the idiot has tried to hide his sicknesses from me. Imagine my surprise when I would call his workplace and discover that he had gone home sick. I had no idea!

I thought we had finally worked through this, but I guess not. He still thinks that by letting me know he is sick, that means he is whining.

I finally told him that sick meant sick. And it's ok to whine a little when you don't feel good.

He insisted that it was just stuff in his nose and he was fine. I knew better. He should too. After 50 years of putting up with this stuff, don't you learn?

He traipsed off to bed about 9:00 last night hoping to get some extra sleep. By the time I got to bed (about 1 am), he was tossing and turning, snuffling and snorting. Argh.

"Max, are you awake?"

"gurgle, gurgle ... yes."

"Max, would you like me to get some Nyquil for you?"

Silence. Then, "yes."

"Ok, I'll be back in a few minutes. I'm going to put the poor dog out one more time."

I took Leica out, grabbed a bottle of water and then the Nyquil. We dosed him and within the 20 minute time period, he was out like a light. Before he fell asleep, I not-so-quietly reminded him that this is why you tell people that you aren't feeling well. They can take care of you! He just grunted.

I knew things weren't happening today when I finally pulled out of bed at 8:30 and there was absolutely no movement from him. When I saw his face at 10:30, he muttered something about losing the morning. A shower didn't help revive him and there was no way we were going to wander around southwest Iowa looking for awesome photo opportunities.

Not that I'm complaning? I think I'll take a nap.

No comments: