Friday, January 30, 2009

Once Upon a Time

There was a little girl who listened to everything that happened in the house. She was always in trouble because she heard too much and knew too much. Her daddy would have to explicitly tell her that most of what she heard could never leave the house.

Yup. Me.

Mom and Dad were always catching me listening at the door to their conversations and since Dad was usually talking about something that was happening in the church, he really needed those conversations to be private. But, how do you do that with a little kid hanging around eavesdropping all the time?

I find myself doing that still, but now it seems as if the world invites me to listen in on their lives. But, I have to confront myself and ask, "How much do you really need to know? At what point is this useless information just filling up space needed for other things in your brain?"

Twitter kills me. I follow a few people on there and it's a lot of fun. These are celebrities in the geek world and I enjoy their banter. But, this morning, @thinkgeek decided to let us know that @mrskutcher (Demi Moore) and @aplusk (Ashton Kutcher) were twittering. I checked it out. Then, I discovered that @celinetherese (Celine Dion) was also twittering, so I had to check it out.

At that point I realized that I really don't have any affection for any of those celebrities and really don't care what is happening to them or even what they think about anything.

I shook myself from the glazed look that happens when I am staring at the screen and clicked back to Facebook, where I am friends with at least 175 people and can get immediate updates on all of their lives.

Hey, at least I care about those people!

No comments: