Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Rrrrruff Week

I was none too happy last week when I managed to get a cold. Hello, folks, I'm avoiding public contact here! How in the world did that happen to hit me?

But, honestly, it went better than things usually go for me. I started sneezing and sniffling on Saturday and was finished with it by Wednesday for the most part. Let me tell you ... that's GOOD for me!

I began thinking about all the fun things I could do this week, especially since the middle of the week promised nice weather. I was looking forward to watching the inauguration and maybe even cleaning around here.


My body decided that it had not had enough attention.

Saturday night was awful. I hurt all over and just figured that, given my age, my hormones were messing with me. It's happening sometimes and I don't get too excited about it. Deal with it and things pass. But, things didn't pass. By Sunday afternoon I was miserable. My body ached, I couldn't get comfortable whether I was sitting up or lying down. I tried to go to sleep. Finally I just sat at my desk and cried. I could not figure out what was going on and I was ticked off.

Monday, everything became quite clear. I had the flu. Not the upper respiratory, feeling yucky flu, but the full-blown, body aches, upset stomach (and all that goes with it) flu. I managed to dose myself with enough over-the-counter stuff to keep me asleep throughout the day. And, by the way. Knowing what's going on makes things a whole lot easier to deal with.

Monday night I was up and down. But, my dear, sweet husband took time on Tuesday to take care of me. I slept late, got up in time to watch the inauguration. But, HEY! I still felt awful and things were not clearing up in the belly/intestinal area. At all. I had tried eating on Monday and that didn't work so well. Max got saltines and cottage cheese for me on Tuesday. At least that covered the hunger pangs.

Today ... I'm a bit better. I actually put clothes on and the fever was gone for the most part. I'm still not eating normally yet. Even 'bland' seems to upset the digestive system, but at least I can tell I'm on the mend. Tomorrow will be even better.

The best part ... no, I just ... the worst part. In the middle of all of this, the hard drive on my computer died. Max spent the time that he was off taking care of his wife, also taking care of her computer.

Since this post is all about complaining ... I shall continue.

I really, really, really, really do not enjoy rebuilding my computer system. At all.

I personalize everything. I spend a lot of time getting Outlook just the way I like it and then I do the same thing for Firefox and for my desktop. I install a ton of software and build a little 'nest' on my hard drive. For some reason, every six to nine months, the powers the be out there in nevernever seem to be entertained by forcing me to crash and rebuild. It's been this way for the last several years.

Outlook is the worst. Every different option is in a different place and none of it is obvious. You'd think I would have it down, but honestly folks, I'm so darned trusting that I actually believe I will never have to do that again and I forget how to set things up. So, I go back and complain and moan while I search for all of the tweaks that make Outlook personal to me.

Will someone write a program that I can install to re-build my nest with one mouse click?

Anyway ... that's where I've been the last few days.


Fran said...

Yeah, you feel better enough to blog! I am so happy that you are finally getting better. Welcome back to the world my friend! I missed you.
Love ya,

Cayla said...

I am so sorry that you have been sick for the better part of 2 weeks. Booooo to that.
And here's to praying that you continue to heal quickly and that you feel 100% better very soon! Take good care. Love!

P.S. I am currently battling some weird tonsilitis and it sucks. I understand your frustration. I am really praying that you feel so much better, and very quickly.