Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Peter and Faith

I love when my mind takes small leaps of understanding.

I am reading EM Bounds "The Necessity of Prayer" right now. It's a fairly amazing book written, I think, in 1907. I was drawn in on the first page.

But, this was a cool thing:

In Luke 22:31-32 as Jesus is telling Peter that he will be the betrayer, Jesus says, "Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail."

Jesus was praying for Simon - for strength of faith. His prayers were to guard the faith of Simon Peter, because once faith is broken, the foundations of spiritual life give way.

Now, look at 2 Peter 1:5-7. What does Peter use as the foundation for the qualities of being an effective Christian? FAITH.

Faith which creates powerful prayer is faith centered on a powerful Person.

This is a great book.

No comments: