Sunday, December 21, 2008

Never bored

We went out to dinner with Fran & Leonard Friday evening and I remarked to Max that this was the first time I had actually left the house in a week. While I was glad to be out with friends, I certainly wasn't at the panic point by any means. I didn't NEED to get out of the house. Now, I remember a blizzard a couple of years ago where after only one day I was desperate to get out of the confines of the house and was quite thankful when Carol had made it through the snow to come pick me up.

Max laughed and said that when he had his ankle surgery, many people had commented that he was going to be pretty frustrated with having to stay stuck in the house for a long period of time. He never was.

I'm not sure what it is with me (us), but my mind spends very little time trapped inside my house - it seems to roam far and wide whether it's on the internet, reading books, researching, writing stories, remembering the past.

As I look around my desk, I see 5 different projects that I am trying to complete. There's a Beth Moore video Bible study that I'm working on, a video series that I'm watching on "Church Outside the Walls," piles and piles of photos that still need to be scanned and cleaned up, Willmaker so that Max and I can begin compiling our wills, 9x12 envelopes for mailing some Christmas gifts to family (Hmmm ... need to deal with that tomorrow), magazines to read (The Writer, Biblical Archeology Review, National Geographic, Christianity Today), knitting (I may never finish these projects ... oh well, sigh), old bills that need to be shredded (the shredder is not in a convenient place, wonder why I haven't fixed that yet!).

This doesn't include the huge number of books I'm reading, the light editing I'm doing for my brother, the 5 different story lines (fiction) I have going, the finish work I have on the Revelation study, the daily work I do on the Pour Out a Blessing blog (I have to also complete the outline for January), the podcasts that sit in my RSS reader waiting to be listened to, the incredible amount of 'stuff' that I still need to purge from the house (I can't believe I wasn't planning when I got rid of all of those Amazon.com boxes - yikes).

I fill every moment in my day with something and I am more than fortunate to have the time right now to be able to actually do these things. I think that the last 10 years or so have created the out of control feeling I have. I don't remember having this many things going on in my young life, though I was always busy. I got to the point where I didn't think I would ever be able to complete the things that I wanted to do. That wasn't even including the new things that pop up in my life day to day.

So, no ... I'm never, ever bored. And no, I don't mind being stuck in my home for a long period of time because I'm not really here. I love letting my imagination have free reign.

No comments: