Monday, March 02, 2009

It is so quiet!

Sometimes it is unbelievably quiet in this house.

1. It's just me and Max. While we do converse quite a bit, sometimes we are reading, writing, doing our thing and it just doesn't involve talking to each other.

2. There is no television in the house. Well, there's one. It's not even plugged in anymore. I still watch some of my favorite shows, but they're either Divo'd or online and I usually watch them when Max is asleep or gone. The television no longer runs 24-7. I'm getting a lot more reading done these days!

3. When Max or I watch or listen to things on our computers (television, youtube, podcasts, music), we generally have headsets on so that we don't bother the other person.

4. The animals don't make a lot of noise and when they do, it's startling!

Yesterday I spent the day with my family. That's just not quiet. At all. I rode with Carol going to Firth and we brought Matt back with us. There was conversation the entire way. Jim's family is not what you would call ... quiet. However, it was no problem for me to take a nap in the midst of their family. So, it's wonderful noise. Lots of life happening, animals, kids, media ... it's just awesome.

I wonder sometimes how I got to this point of 'quiet.' I certainly don't mind it, but when I think about it, it's kind of strange.

The Psalmist tells us to "Be still and know that He is God." (Psalm 46:10) I will tell you definitively that it is easier to talk to God and to hear from Him when the noise is turned off.

No comments: