Friday, March 13, 2009

Waiting patiently

Well, actually, I'm not being so patient about waiting, so I'm going to write a bit.

I'm waiting for my website to fully download to my computer so that I can begin working on it again. Ahhh ... the disasters of losing hard drives, you forget about all of the things that you had taken care of, such as the interminable wait in downloading a large website. Ahhh yes, I did this last fall and wasn't any too happy about having to wait and wait and wait. Here I am, doing it again. Maybe I'll be smart about this and actually save this stupid thing out to our backup drives.

The worst thing about it is that in the end, I will use very little of this old website, but I have to have it so that I can recreate or destroy the links that are there.

Wow, all of those years of learning to exercise patience and THIS is killing me. Crazy woman. I suppose I could go to bed and let it work through the night so that it would be ready and waiting for me in the morning, but are you kidding me? It's only 1:30 in the morning! Much too early to go to sleep.

Actually there are many other things I could be doing: watching a movie, reading a book, praying (hmmm ... _), working on my Greek lesson (actually, I'm at the point in the chapter where I need to listen to an 1 1/2 hour class that occurred last fall as they discuss the reading material, so that needs to wait until tomorrow), folding laundry. See ... lots of things, but I'm writing. Well, I'm babbling at this point.

I've been thinking about pride for awhile. What are the things that make us prideful - think that we are better than someone else. And how do we express that pride?

Do you express pity for someone that isn't in as good physical shape as you are. Do you question someone's input because they don't have the same level education as you, or maybe they don't speak articulately in a way that will allow you to accept them. How about their Christian beliefs. If they don't participate at the church as you do, are you judgmental about their commitment level to Jesus.

I think there are a lot of hidden ways that we express pride. Please do not think that I'm making any judgments here on anyone other than myself. I know full well that I face these issues regularly and in fact, as I was writing, I began realizing other ways in which I project my pride.

This is not one of those sins that we should take lightly. It was pride that brought down many an Israelite King. Pride is what destroyed Belshazzar (Babylonian king). Pride is what caused satan to think that he was greater than God and that he could expect the Son of God to fall down and worship him!

So, what are some expressions of our pride? This is something I need to be face down before God about.

(I'm still waiting ... there were a lot of images on this website!)

1 comment:

tlksimpson said...

"I'm hard-headed and prideful. And I'd like to apologize clear back to the first time I hit ya, Sissy." "OH, BUUUUD!"

Just kidding! I am prideful when I refuse to ask for help because I think it makes me look weak. And I want to be able to do EVERYTHING. SO I make life hell and stressful because Steve is pretty much the only person I ever ask for assistance. I'm working on it....

I also feel prideful and smug when people's mind are small...when other's think THEIR way is the ONLY way...when in fact I am doing the exact same thing THEY are doing....it's a circuitous web.